Church Hill Landscapes, Inc.
Landscape Construction Gardening Foreman
- Job Title: Gardening Foreman
- Reports To: Service Manager
- Wage Range: $16-$22
The Gardening Foreman is responsible for the on-site direction of gardening and installation projects at client properties and the supervision of his/her assigned crew. The Gardening Foreman organizes their crew to stay on track with recurring garden maintenance properties, garden enhancement, and garden installation projects on time and under budget. The Gardening Foreman is a physically demanding leadership role that requires strong communication, work ethic, and passion.
- Perform high-quality gardening and horticultural care for all Church Hill gardening clients
- Execute gardening visits and projects according to the job plan and schedule established by the Service Manager
- Effectively communicate with the client while on site. Ensure proper company presence and visibility on site at all times
- Supervise, coordinate, and schedule the day-to-day work activities of your assigned crew. Includes monitoring vacation/sick days and planning accordingly.
- Ensure that all work activities are carried out in a safe and efficient manner and that all crew members are in compliance with government and company PPE standards
- Operate various tools and equipment, including rototillers, wheelbarrows, saws, pruners, shovels, edgers, etc.
- Operate trucks and trailers assigned to the gardening crew.
- Meeting and exceeding defined crew production goals for the year (as assigned by the owner)
- Review estimates and plans with Service Manager before jobs are sold.
- Review plans and schedules with Service Manager prior to the start of each visit or project.
- Order and procure materials as needed
- Conduct on-site orientations with new employees and employees in new positions, which cover company health and safety policies, practices, procedures, and equipment/vehicle training
- Attend all company foreman meetings
- Conduct weekly jobsite safety toolbox meetings with assigned crew.
- Conduct workplace/jobsite inspections
- Carry out accident/incident investigations
- Correct substandard acts or conditions and commend employee health and safety performance
- Complete and submit all required paperwork on a weekly basis. Includes daily site meeting logs, crew daily forms, equipment inspection forms, attendance tracking, change order requests, requests for time off, receipts, etc.
- Supervise preventative maintenance on tools and equipment. Ensure completion at regular intervals.
- Submit daily report to Gardening Manager by 3 PM each day
- Manage yearly crew equipment budget
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Preferred Vermont Certified Horticulturist
- Preferred 5 years’ experience in the horticulture/landscape industry
- Capable of operating required equipment and tools in a safe and responsible manner
- Effective communication skills (both verbal and written)
- Ability to work under pressure and tight deadlines
- Time management skills
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints and specifications
- Ability to operate mobile/web applications for time tracking and project management
- Knowledge of specific materials, methods, tools, and equipment required to complete various landscape/construction practices
- Must possess a valid drivers’ license
- Speak, read, and write English
- Ability to work with hand tools, power tools, small engine equipment, and materials
- Ability to lift a minimum of 50 lbs. repeatedly through an entire work shift
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent stamina is required
- Work near heavy equipment and other vehicles on a regular basis
- Work outdoors in various conditions including heat and humidity, rain, snow, dust, noise, and cold
- Ability to work 40-50 hours per week (with occasional Saturdays) with a 7 AM start time during the spring, summer, and fall months.
Expectations for Success
- Ability to work with a team
- Open-minded to receiving help and helping others
- Work in an efficient manner to keep up with assigned tasks
- Work in a safe manner with no accidents or injuries
- Incredible customer service; clients want us to be there as a result of your work exceeding expectations, kindness, and communication
- Ability to delegate work to others to increase job productivity
- Willingness to complete training(s) and acquire more knowledge relevant to trade
- Leadership/mentor role that supports the growth of others and instills the company values
- Paid holidays during active employment
- 5 days ordinary paid time off during the first year of employment
- 10 days ordinary paid time off after 12 months of employment
- Dental Insurance
- Cell phone stipend
- Simple IRA after 12 months of employment
- Company provided PPE